Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Well if HE says it ...


     It seems a common trend to reinforce one's views, even if simply on a personal level, by including members of your group who happen to be stars.  This, of course, is no coincidence as we seem to hold recognizable pop icons to a higher standard than the average person working a normal job without cameras being shoved in their faces.
     It is really easy to invent a special "star realm" where all those celebrities live; a realm filled with enlightenment and holding the best and brightest of our society.  This is the same kind of realm that holds teachers, who obviously only exist at school (though there have been reported sightings at such places as grocery stores) and politicians, who exist in a realm where everyone is an idiot and nobody actually knows how to do their job.  This awe-inspiring realm of the celebrity is one to behold, though.  Words they speak hold such power with ironclad opinions that they set forth amongst the less enlightened.
     This all, of course, is a bit hyperbolic, but I hope my point is coming across.  We give celebrities and icons far too much credit!  Why is it that a government official can say something and it will receive little response and yet some famous (and likely attractive) movie star will say the same thing and be branded a hero?  Do we think we know these people because of the characters they have played in movies?  Does their ability to play a role of a hero make them one?
     This realm is not limited to movie stars, though.  This week I opened my Facebook to the lovely sight of more of that blatant ignorance that typifies Facebook.  This time it took the form of a picture of Hank Jr. (can't say I know exactly who that is) and his apparent quote that "Obama is a Muslim who hates farming, hates the military, hates the U.S. and we hate him!"  Beyond the simple fact that this wasn't even quoted correctly (though the message was the same), I was irritated that people were standing by this statement.  What, since he's (apparently) well known he gets to make stupid statements like that?  What's even worse is that since Hank Jr. here has a larger audience he can spout his opinions at, these opinions become the representation of those who oppose Obama.
     A new trend I find even more annoying is that of stating political or philosophical opinions through the words of memes.  In this new brand of ingenuity, one becomes represented by an icon that not only has no distinct personality, it can be utilized by any number of people with any number of views.  I might not bother complaining about this, but it has become a common way of feigning a solid point, when in fact there is no foundation to their arguments.  Those who use these memes either think they are being clever, or they are simply going for the surface-level "grumpy cat: good" approach to persuasion. 
     Here's what I want to leave you with: if you hear about some celebrity stating their opinions, take them about as seriously as you would any passing stranger.  They are likely no more qualified in making statements than you are.  There is no special "celebrity training" that informs them of all the facts.  Don't being impressed by name-dropping either.  Look for reasoning.  And if you see a political or philosophical statement being expressed through a meme, laugh at it, because it serves no other purpose than to be the object of a joke.    

1 comment:

  1. I hold to this view because you said it and I look up to you and not because I have any reasons for it.... ;)

    ReplyDelete